Follow @chloewanderlust

Tuesday 5 August 2014

HOW TO PACK FOR A YEAR ABROAD



How to pack for a year abroad? You're spending another year at University, however, said University is in a different country, most likely thousands of miles away from home. Not only this, but the climate and culture are completely different. Many of my friends from University are doing years abroad, ranging from Australia to Singapore and Spain. I am, as I have mentioned enthusiastically before, doing my year abroad in Canada. Packing is one of the main things I will be doing for the next couple of weeks, eliminating this t-shirt here and there, packing that one extra pair of socks and panicking about whether it's worth bringing my favourite mug. Now although I can't guarantee that everything I've initially decided on will be needed, I've come up with a couple of easy to follow guidelines for those spending a year abroad.

KNOW YOUR LIMIT

I realise this sounds like an alcohol awareness campaign but the point I'm making is about baggage size and weight. You need to work out not only what the airline restrictions are but what your personal carrying capacity is. I know I couldn't lug more than 2 suitcases around, especially if I have to change flights/make my way on public transport. An easy way to do this is to pack as lightly as possible or stick to a strict easy to follow list, for example; 2 pairs of jeans, 10 t-shirts, 1 evening bag etc etc. I know it's tempting to think; 'oh but I love that pair of shoes!' or 'that might come in handy for fancy dress' but in most cases it's not worth it and 9/10 of the times you can find something similar or more suitable out there. For me, that will be a new pair of snow boots. 

LESS COSMETICS/MORE DRUGS

Tehe. No but really, most countries issue toothpaste. You don't need to go out and buy 5 reserve bottles of your favourite shampoo. Is that really what you're going to regret halfway through the year? Who has ever said 'yeah my year abroad was great, but I couldn't find one bottle of Herbal Essences in Copenhagen so that just ruined the whole experience'. However, in comparison to many countries (especially the USA and Canada) the UK has pretty cheap pharmaceuticals. It's worth taking a couple extra packets of painkillers and any other over the counter medicines you think you might need. 

   
RESEARCH THE CLIMATE

Ok so we all know that all the cats down in Brisbane might as well pack a few extra bikinis and flip flops (thongs in native tongue). But it's important to be prepared for the climate. Some countries and cities experience much higher humidity’s and therefore you need to pack appropriately in order to keep cool. Alternatively in snowier climates such as Canada and Sweden, you're going to need to take account of thermals, layers and possibly invest in a thick winter coat. Anyone travelling to the UK? Pack a waterproof jacket. 

ROLL IT

This is simple. Roll your clothes to make extra space in your bag. You could vacuum pack but I literally have no clue how to do that. 

GADGET BASICS

There are a few electronic devices you might want to consider packing before you fly off as well. Firstly; adaptors. Pretty obvious, you can't use anything without an adaptor and again this can be country-specific. Next; a portable hardrive. Nowadays you can get pretty compact hardrives for not too expensive prices. It's worth taking one of these in order to back up both all your important data and memorable photos (awh). 


SOMETHING SENTIMENTAL

During the year leading up to Canada we had a number of lectures about acclimatising to our new homes. We were even given handy little graphs about how our emotions will play out. FYI you will experience initial euphoria followed by a decline into sadness as you become homesick. I did have a little giggle at this. But for those moments when you are missing home and all you want is a proper British biscuit and cup of tea with friends, take something sentimental. Photos, trinkets, cards, gifts...all of these things have sentimental value and it's worth having them around you to remind you of a little bit of home.

AND NOT FORGETING THE DOCUMENTS


Saving the boring stuff till last! But arguably the most important stuff. Remember to pack all your important documents (and photocopies) in a waterproof folder. This means, passport copies, visa letters, bank details, emergency contacts etc all in a folder which can be kept safe. I would actually recommend taking this in your hand luggage more than anything; it's something which needs to be accessible and kept on you whilst travelling. I was once on a bus going through Bosnia and a guy from Vancouver nearly got kicked off because he left his passport in his hold luggage! 

No comments:

Post a Comment