Follow @chloewanderlust

Saturday 7 December 2013

CHRISTMAS RECIPES > STUDENT MOUNTAIN PASTA

Doesn't look like much, but tastes like Austria. Austria tastes good.
Christmas, and winter in general for me is synonymous with skiing, I used to travel every year to Austria and therefore I get a certain sense of nostalgia for everything a bit Austrian and snowy. I'm a little bit in love with Austrian cuisine aswell, favourites including marzipan laden stollen, chocolate covered lebkuchen and goulash soup. I believe that traditional mountain food needs to be; filling, warming and packed with energy. Trust me I spent a couple of weeks skiing with squished cheese sandwiches in my pockets in 2012; it's important to have a proper meal! It is with this all in mind I present to you the students version of a mountain meal, a comforting, calorie packed pasta dish, perfect for a frosty day- or if you can ever be bothered to cook after a day’s skiing! Nigella's version of this uses pancetta, vermouth and banana shallots, I will be using bacon and red onion (if you have any leftover white wine from a night out go ahead and use this too- Lambrini however is not acceptable). Firstly, pre heat the oven to around 200 on fan. Cut around 200g of potatoes into cubes and add to a pan of boiling salted water. Let these bubble for around 5 mins then add around 200g of your choice of pasta and cook for around 10 mins. Meanwhile, heat garlic oil in a pan; fry 2-3 rashers of chopped bacon with a teaspoon of dried thyme. Cook for 5 mins then add half a chopped red onion. Cook these together until the bacon is crisping up and the onion softens. Take the pan off the heat and add your optional 50ml of white wine and 100ml of double cream; stir this well together. Maybe add some grated nutmeg too, it's up to you, I'm not the boss of you. Drain the pasta and potatoes and pour the creamy bacon mix in with the potatoes into an ovenproof dish. Add plenty of grated cheese (I used cheddar but you can use something fancier if you wish). Pop this in the oven for around 20 mins and enjoy straight out of the pan.


P.s. this will make enough for 2 students, or one hungry one. 

No comments:

Post a Comment